About Us

Monday, September 21, 2015

Neonatal Nursing

What is Neonatal Nursing?

Neonatal nursing specializes in working with infants born with defects, infections, surgical problems, and prematurity.  These types of nurses typically deal with infants experiencing critical problems shortly after birth, but can range anywhere from birth throughout their first month of life. Neonatal nurses are required to obtain health histories, work with the doctor in providing a care plan, transport ill infants to nurseries, write orders, perform procedures as necessary, and care for multiple patients simultaneously.


How do I Become a Neonatal Nurse?

The academic requirements necessary to practice in this field include the following:

  • Bachelor's Degree of Science in Nursing (BSN)
  • National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN)
  • Master's Degree as a Neonate Nurse Practitioner
  • National or State Certification Exam


Why do I Want to Become a Neonatal Nurse?

I have always been interested in science throughout elementary school and high school.  The best days were dissection days!  Being able to see the inside of another living thing was always fascinating to me.  Although I am only a freshman in college and think I know what I want to do, I stand pretty confident in my goal to work in the medical field.  Nursing in particular catches my interest because of the variety of opportunities available to choose from once I become an RN.  The neonatal unit is one of them.  To help save a life for a person or giving them a chance at life would be a feeling I am incapable of putting to words.  There are so many tragedies occurring with abortions, miscarriages, still births or even post birth diseases leading to the death of infants who never got a chance to live.  If I can help the slightest bit to prevent these things from occurring, I will.  Not only does neonatal nursing provide me with that opportunity, but it also would be accomplishing my goal of what I want to do in life.

-Samantha B.


Source: http://www.nann.org/education/content/neonatal-nursing-career-info.html

3 comments:

  1. As a senior in high school, we went to a cadaver lab! We got to see all of the bodies that were already used with medical students, and we got to touch them and hold the organs ourselves. Since then I always knew I wanted to do something medical and I'm glad you did too! I've never known a lot about nursing and it's awesome that you've found a type of nursing that you would love to pursue. Are there many different types of "nursing jobs" out there? I always just thought it was working in a hospital with any patient.

    Larissa Laeder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post very informative. I liked how you went into description on the schooling necessary for this specific type of nursing because a lot of people think that all nursing requires the same amount and types of schooling. I am looking into specializing in nurse anesthesiology so it's nice to see that you also have found something in the nursing field you are passionate enough to specialize in.

    Rachel Grzanka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the late response! If you look into the blog again you will see that we have posted a variety of different careers in the nursing field, if you're interested! Thank you for the positive feedback!

    ReplyDelete