About Us

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Female Vs. Male Nurses

There are many more women nurses than there is male nurses. The ratio of female to male nurses is approximately ten to one. People argue that male nurses are better than female nurses, but that is based on the patients opinions and not factual evidence. Personally I think it would depend on who is taking care of you. Because if your nurse is grumpy, whether they are male or female does not matter, they're still grumpy. Also what type of schooling the nurse has gone through matters, and that is the person's choice. Male nurses usually chose the bigger paying jobs and because of that they make more money. This is similar to the controversy in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) field we had our talk topic on, except in STEM there is more males than females. There is a lot of stereotyping behind the word nurse, just like when you think of a scientist. I even think of a female whenever anyone is speaking of a nurse unless the specify "male nurse." According to UCSF. edu website male nurses make at least $5,000 more than females do a year.
Kyra T.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize there was such a wage gap between male and female nurses. One of my cousins is a male nurse, so your post was pretty interesting to me.
    -Erik B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it! I would love to talk to a male nurse to see why that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked reading this post. Since I want to go into a form of nursing it is nice to know the ratio of female to male nurses. I really liked how you used a comparison of the high male to female ratio in STEM jobs to the low male to female ratio in nursing! - Rachel Grzanka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rachel! I enjoyed learning about the difference ratio too.

    ReplyDelete