About Us

Friday, October 16, 2015

Pediatric Nurse

What is a pediatric nurse?

This career in nursing is ideal for those who desire an occupation in the nursing field and who also love to work with children.  A pediatric nurse provides care to children from birth to adolescence.  Most of the issues dealt with in this field are acute, such as ear infections, growth and development problems, asthma, and respiratory difficulties.


Job Environment

-Hospitals
-Clinics
-Long Term Care Clinics
-Home and Community Agencies

What are the pros and cons of this career?

Normally working with children can be difficult.  It is expected that sick children will be more of an issue to deal with, as are most people from all ages.  Some issues pediatric nurses encounter include lack of cooperation, grief from families, and other conflicts.  However, the field involves a significant amount of teamwork, builds relationships, and can teach children about health and its importance.


What is the education required?

-Bachelors/Associates Degree in Science in Nursing
-NCLEX exam to become a Registered Nurse
-Specialization in Pediatrics

-Samantha B.


Sources: http://www.nurse.com/students/CareersInNursing/Specialties/PED.htm

"Nursing News, Nursing Careers, Nurse Continuing Education, Nursing Forums and More!"      Nurse.com- Nursing News, Nursing Careers, Nurse Continuing Education, Nursing Forums and More! Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 2013. Web. 16 Oct. 2015




4 comments:

  1. This is super cool information! If I ever considered something in the medical field, working with children was definitely at the top of the list. Like you mentioned, I think it'd be awesome to build those relationships and teaching children about living a healthier lifestyle. The cons you also mentioned such as lack of cooperation and grief of families kept me away from such a profession. Awesome information though, I'd be interested in reading more about personal stories within this field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I come from a large family, mostly of children, so I have had a lot of experience with working with children and this career can give me the best of both worlds. Working as a nurse and with/for children! Thank you for the positive feedback!

      Delete
  2. This is very good information that I didn't know about! I knew that pediatricians worked with children, but I didn't know what they dealt with specifically, like ear infections, etc. Are there any more pros or cons to having this career? I'm just very curious about it.
    - Jamie R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know right now as of any other cons, but perhaps I could look into it more and get back to you!

      Delete