About Us

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Talk Topic: "Learning the Language" Oct. 19.

For my writing class this week, our "talk topic," which is a basis for discussion on things that we can relate to real life, was based off of an article written by a doctor. This doctor, Perri Class, talked about how she was exposed to a new language that she had to expose herself to, learn the meaning of, and essentially use to communicate throughout the hospital. 
I was excited to read the Talk Topic for this week, as it pertained to the medical field, which is my interest of study. Within the first paragraph, I was able to recognize that there was more to learn about the medical field than just the human body. I suppose each profession would have to have their own linguistics. Business professionals would not be using the same vocabulary as someone in the medical field, because they have two polar opposite tasks at hand.

In her writing, she used some vocabulary terms that I had never heard before in my life, which lead me to looking up the definitions. Some of these words included “eponymous” and “euphemism.” I enjoyed how the author, who is an actual doctor, described her personal experience in “learning the language” of her job. She gave a wide range of terms and jargon used in the medical field, and always made sure to describe what they meant to ensure that the reader could also understand the article.  By doing this, she was able to get across what I believe her main point to be, which was that you will be learning not only how to perform a new job, but also how to “speak their language,” because you will have no idea what it means until your exposed to it. As you use it more and more, this new language will become native to your tongue. 

Perri Klass is describing above the satisfaction she received from "learning the language" of her profession.


The importance of learning the language shows in her examples. If she never asked what something meant, she would have no idea what was going on with patients. This was encouraging for me, because it showed that not everyone will know what is being said, and that it’s okay to ask questions if you don’t know. After doing some research for my blog topic articles, I’ve been exposed to some medical jargon that I also had to look up, which is one way I’ve began to learn the language of the nursing profession. The article was also another exposure for me to the terminology. As I continue my journey through nursing school, I’m positive that I will be exposed to more and more examples like the author described, and there will be situations where I have to ask what a certain abbreviation or terminology means. That is how I will “learn the language” of my future profession.


No comments:

Post a Comment