About Us

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Difference between Nurses and Doctors


In old times the main difference between the two was that nurses were women and doctors were men. Sweet and simple. The difference now is not so simple. One website states "Nurses work set shifts and are assigned specific patients whom the see frequently during that period. Doctors, on the other hand, visit the patient once, maybe twice a day, usually for a few minutes." (Koven). Nurses are the main caretakers of the patients while doctors are just there for surgery, medications, and making the big decisions. Also, "doctors show up when something goes terrible wrong" (Koven). But it is the nurses who are there for everything else a patient needs. A doctor prescribes what comes next and a nurse explains to the patient.
When going to school to become a nurse it will take about 4 years of schooling. To become a doctor it takes about 6 years of school and then up to 7 more years of training. Doctors will then go on to making approximately $188,440 a year while nurses will make about $67,930 a year. Seems strange to me with what I described above because nurses do more in front of you, but doctors do more behind the scenes.
I wanted to know what doctors felt towards nurses, and an example from Dr. Kevin Pezzi is, "Physicians are generally appreciative of the work performed by nurses and we give respect when it's due. personally, I can think of several nurses that I hold in such high esteem" (Pezzi). This caught me off guard because I originally thought most doctors would hate nurses and feel they got in their way. Dr. Kevin Pezzi also talked about how a lot of doctors were originally nurses who went on to becoming a doctor.
Kyra T.
Sources: 
Pezzi, Dr. Kevin. "Doctors vs. Nurses?." Doctors vs. Nurses?. N.p., 2011. Web. 15 Nov. 2015.
Koven, Dr. Suzzane. "In Practice: The Difference between Doctors and Nurses." BostonGlobe.com.      
     Boston Globe Media Partners, 22 Oct. 2012. Web. 15 Nov, 2015.

2 comments:

  1. Thats interesting because I never knew that a nurse could also become a doctor. I always thought that if a person went into nursing, they could not go any farther with it. I would like to know more about this!
    -Dominic W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the websites I looked at were very helpful! If you want I can send them to you!

    ReplyDelete